Monday, September 20, 2010

Meg + Will's Wedding



Okay, okay, so I know I said I was going to post up all these wonderful pictures of France, but man, I got lazy in trying to sort through edit them all. You know when you have a huge pile of work you need to go through, and it just seems so daunting so you just procrastinate (which of course, makes everything worse...). In the meantime I've been wanting to show you all some other stuff I've been up to since France, but of course, being the perfectionist that I am, I wanted everything to be in perfect, chronological order so it made sense, but then everything keeps getting pushed back.... and back... and back..........

Well, bah! France posts are just gonna have to take a back seat for now, 'cause I'm moving on. Seriously, I must, otherwise I feel as if my blog is going to wither away again. I'll come back to France here and there, though.



Alrighty! So a couple weeks back I worked on a wedding project for Meghann and Will which was a lot of fun. While Will is from here, Meg's from the Big Apple, so they had this cool "NY-meets-Canada" theme going on. And can I just say here that I was so happy to work with their colour of RED? Whoo!!! It's such a refreshing change from all those pale, pastel girly colours that most weddings use.



So this wedding was also tres cool because I got the chance to integrate some 3D decor elements into the usual stationery design. I combined a floral centerpiece into the seating card display which I thought would have a great "wow" factor.




There's a ravine in my backyard, which is where I found the branches I would need. James helped me to cut them down to size and spray paint them black. We ended up using a whole can of spray paint, even though there was barely any surface area to cover (this was also my first time spraying, and boy... does it smell like TOXIC. phew!!)



To hold the actual seating cards, I got four black box picture frames from Ikea and removed the glass. Originally I was going to have little tent cards, but I didn't have enough space in the frames to hold 130 cards total, so after a bit of brainstorming, I got the idea to use an accordian fold to prop up the cards instead.



I wanted to have crystal jewels strung and hung down from the branches (so they would shimmer in the light), but the only ones I could find sold in bulk at the craft store were those cheap, plastic looking ones. So I veto-ed that and made a last-minute decision and go with adding some tiny white blossoms to the branches instead.






The wedding was to be held at a museum in Ottawa, and being unable to attend, Nancy (the groom's sis) and Joe swung by my place to pick everything up. I set up the whole sha-bang in my kitchen so they would see what it should look like, and took pics to email as well. And while I'm pretty sure I looked like a sleep-deprived, half-dead zombie when it was done, I was SO psyched to see it all put together. Yay!! I thought the branches turned out particularly nice. I mean, even without the white flowers and the tulle it looked quite nice - so nice in fact that I went out and bought the exact same vase again so I could make it again and decorate my room. :)

4 comments:

  1. the branches look really nice in these photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow=) I know I saw this before, but I really like the process photos=) good job Alicia! Better get your website up pronto so I can start referring you to my clients=) btw, I briefly saw some of your France pics and they are GORGEOUS! I want to see moreee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks yury! yes... need to work on website.. -_- haha, will keep u updated!!

    ReplyDelete