Friday, May 28, 2010

The Wedding Cake: Part 2

Photobucket

Thank goodness for afternoon weddings. On the morning of, we woke up at 9am to get ready as the ceremony was set to start at 1pm. As Martha Stewart would say, that's a good thing - considering the fact that we hit the hay the night before around 3am. Unfortunately, I was still churning the thoughts of worry throughout the night. What if the cake flops in the car? How exactly am I going to pipe this thing? What if I screwed up? What if the cake starts melting uncontrollably and it ends up as a giant cake puddle that everyone will have to eat with a spoon? What if... um, well, you can imagine how wired I felt when it was time to get up.

Photobucket

For that morning however, I had some other things to think about besides my awaiting-cake and my dark circles - there was the matter of the pom poms. Yes, that's right. Fluffy, poofy, scrunchy pom poms, all lovingly handmade by Mike (another fellow designerd), James, and yours truly. After several hours of folding, cutting, tying, and poofing while watching the Ellen show, we managed to make two garbage bags full of different sized pom poms that were requested to put up as decorations on site a.k.a the morning of. So as I rushed out the door with garbage bags in hand, cake on my lap, and praying that we don't make a sharp turn, I'm thinking that we probably should've seen the ceremony site beforehand to know what the heck our game plan was going to be. Alas, I think they turned out quite nice in the end, no?

Photobucket
Photobucket

Their church, by the way, was really gorgeous. Exposed grey brick with wooden beam ceilings, and brilliant pendant lamps hanging scattered across the sanctuary. It was a beautiful setting fit for a beautiful bride, and as Jess walked in to meet her groom, she looked stunning. Jess is the first of my friends in my age group to get married, so it was pretty dang exciting to watch. I think I was just grinning the whole time, she looked sooooo happy!



After the ceremony, we hiked up to Newmarket to set up the decorations at the banquet hall. So I think when a bunch of designers get together, you really can't help but end up with a branded wedding. The centerpieces themselves was totally a collaborative project. Jess and Eric actually grew pots of wheatgrass for weeks beforehand, appropriately reflecting their spring green theme. Winnie (winniema.ca), the bridesmaid who art directed the creation the bird toppers on my cake, created the menu and other matching stationery items, and Mike (miketjioe.com) had been running around at Ikea that very morning to buy branches for the table numbers he had made. He also put together a photobooth at the reception where everyone could take photos with wacky dollarstore props (the elderly adults got really into it). It was pretty awesome to see all our creative minds come together in a mutual effort to make our friend's day really special :)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I was really pleased with how the layers turned out. Although green tea layer was darker and more brownish than green, it still came out in a pretty striped pattern.

It was a long, hectic, but celebratory day. I can't wait till the next chance I can make another wedding cake! In the meantime, congrats again to the happy couple!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment